Friday, May 19, 2006

Work Sucks


I work because I have to. Bills to pay yada yada yada. But this week has been exceptionally sucktacular. It's been a slow week, further complicated by a steady stream of trashy guest. Quite a few in our store are having some of their worst weeks in recent memory, so it's not just me who is getting hosed. Sales are down and tips are down, and so is the overall spirit of our staff. People have been quitting right and left. Mostly servers, but we are about to loose one of our better line cooks as well. A store that a few years ago had one of the strongest server staffs of any Red Lobster is now nearly 100% new in the last 18 months. And they wonder why guest service surveys come back with lower than desired scores.

I had a new "You know it's going to be a crap table when" table tonight. I approach a table, "Hello, my name is" trailer trash guest interupts with "We haven't seen each other since....well it must've been 99. Yeah that's it, so we're gonna do some catching up. Bring us some bread." and then proceeds to dive into conversation with the other woman at the table. They proceeded to sit for 2.5 hours, and only left a $7 tip. I don't care if you only order water and a side of fries, if you plant your fat stinky (she smelled like she had rolled around on a bunch of perfume samples that come out of magazines immediately before entering the store) ugly butt in my section, you need to pay or get out. I have bills to pay. If you want to chat, move your big butt to Starbucks, or the center lane of the freeway out there. And I'm sorry, but that dye job is doing nothing for your hair. That box should be labled "Red disaster #5" as a color. Having hair the color of a baboon's ass is not something to be desired.

I really need a vacation. Or something.








Related Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

5 comments:

Natalie said...

Very funny. Ok, I'm going to ask you something that you've probably been asked before. If Red Lobster is such a sucky place to work, why do YOU still work there? Surely there are other better waiter jobs out there. Of course then, who would write this blog. =)

Lobster Boy said...

Red Lobster was a pretty solid place until late last year when the corporate morons really decided to start screwing with things on the local level. 10 years ago RL was a far better company to work for. I work there because I get the exact schedule I want/need, because I make more money than many other chain places, because I am working on an advanced degree, and I don't know that changing ships at this point would do much for me, I have interviewed at a fine dining restaurant in the past 2 weeks and am waiting to hear back after their interviews are done, and because I am loyal inspite of the situation not being the best for me. I'm sure there are other reason, those are just the ones off the top of my head. I won't be working at RL or any restaurant for that matter for much more than the next year.

Lobster Boy

Natalie said...

I hate it when the corporate morons ruin things. Thanks for the answer.

Unknown said...

I have a theory: You need a license to eat at restaurants! To get that license you need to work in a restaurant for at least one year. And I think the same thing applies to retail. XD

Lobster Boy said...

I'm sure I'll change the name of the blog eventually if/when change happens. Until then I will continue to lament the corporate mismanagment at DRed Lobster.