Friday, September 29, 2006

My butt is dragging

I am fried. I have reached that point where everything in my body wants to crawl back under the sheets, rip the phone out of the wall, throw my cell phone down the alley and pull a pillow over my head. As a waiter I am usually up to whatever the job throws at me. But from time to time I get run down as do most people I suppose. It is at these times being a waiter is very tough. You have to be on your game to make your money. You can't afford mistakes. Being cheery and friendly and having a service first attitude is difficult on most days for hours on end, but when you enter a shift already depleated it makes for a long night. I'm looking at a 8-10 hour shift today with little to nothing in the tank. Will I rise to the occassion? Of course I will, it keeps bread on my plate and the bill collectors at bay for another month of life.

For those who have never been in the food service industry, this is why many of us are caffine fiends (and some worse). The job at its basic level is enormously repetitive, which only adds to the difficulty in focusing when you are running on fumes. Thankfully that pattern also affords us times where we can coast, turn on our auto-pilot and let the night pass us by. So if I am a bit more quiet tonight than usual, it's not because I don't care or am not interested. I am just holding the last little bit back, so there is still something of me here, not just an empty shell. I'd like to remain one level of conciousness above zombie.

And then it all starts over again tomorrow.

Related Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

SkippyMom said...

I was a waitress for years, but never worked corporate, so I haven't had the soul sucking experience you seem to have and I liked doing it [then again - it was in my 20's so people weren't so rude/inbred/entitled/etc as they are now]...hang in there...you will be able to the humor soon enough and it will re-energize you.
Take a break - you really seem to need it!
Hugs

Ranter said...

Garh, I know what you mean. I think I've been feeling like that the last week or so, each shift I rock up to at work. Today was one of those days...

Chin up, tomorrow can only get better!