Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Gay sub-cultures - chubby chaser


Waiting tables for many (many!) years has exposed me to some interesting things, especially within the rather large gay community where I live. Both working with GLBT and serving them have opened my eyes to a world that I didn't know existed for my first 24 or so years of life.

One of the rather odd sub-cultures came to play the other day in my section. I think it was a first date, or a blind date, as the two guys didn't seem all that familiar with each other (to begin with).

So the odd part was that the first guy showed up. He was a large, furry, and nervous. A "bear" I suppose, and a chubby one at that. The second guy must've been running a bit late, as Bear was fidgety as all get out. Eventually guy #2 shows up. I swear I've seen this guy on COPS, though one of the ones filmed back in the 80's. He's rail thin, his hair is mousy brown and appears to be permed, and he is wearing the tightest jeans I have EVER seen. He was uncircumcised. They were that tight. We'll call him Slim.

So for the next two hours Bear and Slim get acquainted. I was pretty busy, so I didn't catch much other than snippets of them talking about who they know in common and what bars they go to. I did also catch Slim giving a run down of the Caribbean Islands he has visited (most all of them from what I heard).

They had a couple of cocktails for dessert and paid up. I'm not sure where Slim kept his wallet, as his pant were so tight I can't imagine that it was in the back pocket. They held hands on the way out, so I think things went well. They also left a large tip, larger than the normally higher than average gay male tip. I was appreciative, but couldn't help but marvel at the odd couple they made walking out. It looked like the number "10". I couldn't help but think of Jack Sprat.

3 comments:

RiceCzeks said...

Did you ever think that maybe the dude wasn't a chubby chaser, maybe he genuinely liked the big guys personality and decided that liking the guy was more important than looks?

udo said...

No, he is a chubby chaser. I am one too. I don't know what is, but I like them big!

Ken Summers said...

Different strokes for different folks...

You'd be amazed at the diversity (and segregation that comes along with it) in the GLBT community. I learn something new every day.. and I've been out for 11 years now!

And yes, there is a chubby chaser facet... though I've noticed straight people have begun using the terms. I still feel like I'm on the fringe of all the subgroups...