Sunday, January 01, 2012

Happy New Year - 2012 is here

2012 stands to be a year of change for me.  I'll be ending my run with Red Lobster at some point this year.  While I've greatly cut back my schedule, I seem to be picking up shifts at a pretty rapid pace, so it seems not a whole lot has changed for me there yet.  Yet.  But it will come.  I dream of the day I no longer come home reeking of fried seafood.  I get excited when I think that I may never walk back through the doors of a Red Lobster as an employee.  That day is coming.

Another change in 2012 is that I will begin training for my first full Triathlon.  My old lady has done a few - and I have NO chance of keeping up with her - and she's been egging me on to do one.  I'm a wannabe avid cyclist when time permits.  I've always been a very strong swimmer.  But running flat out sucks.  I do it, only because I'm old and fat and it keeps me from getting older and fatter...well...fatter anyhow.  But I figure once I do it, I can say I've done it, and then hopefully not ever have to do it again.  Then I can retire to the lecherous old guys racquetball league.

The other day I was recruited by a business acquaintance (from my other non-seafood life) to become a Mason.  Felt like a fucking Amway pitch, but slightly more cultish and less fun.  Wins my award for most awkward moment of 2011.  I'm not particularly interested in the Scottish Rite - though infinitely interested in the right Scotch.

Speaking of Scotch - I'm ringing in the New Year the right way with a bottle of Laphroaig 10 year Cask Strength from my reserves.  This is my first time cracking this bottle, and it rates a "holy shit it's good" on my Scotch scale.  It is by no means cheap, but if you are seriously considering entering into the fine single malts of this world, you'd be a damn fool to start elsewhere.  It took me quite a number of years (and shit-tons of money) to find my niche of Scotch that really hits my palate right.  I'm on my third glass of two fingers and a splash of water and I'm warming all over and hoping I stop before I forget my name and regret it in the morning.

I've got to work lunch tomorrow, and a hangover is a bitch of a way to start my 2012.


Fuck it.  We're not going to be busy anyhow...


BTW - if you're not willing to spring for an expensive Scotch on my recommendation alone, start by trying the Glenlivet 12 Year Old.  It'll give you an idea if you should continue down this path without emptying your wallet completely.  I'm lukewarm on Speyside's since I don't know them quite as well, but I do know this Glenlivet and the punishment it has inflicted my my liver all too well.

1 comment:

Push The Fish said...

Whatever great changes are coming your way, I hope you continue to share your thoughts with all of us still left here in the industry. We need all of the voices and talent that we can get to keep us entertained and to educate the public! Good luck in 2012.