Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Beer - Not quite a Server Secret Weapon - but important

RateBeer has recently released their 2012 best breweries in the world list.  I don't drink beer for volume - those days are long gone - but will indulge for quality.  I have a handful of beer snob friends who also allow me to sample a fairly wide range as well as some great home brews.  I've included the Top 25 below (the list goes to 100).

I've had beer from 2, 3, 9, 11, 14, 15, 22, 23, and 25 of those listed below.  Add to it the other full list and I've sampled from 33, 35, 36, 43, 59, 63, 66, 72, 85, and 100.  They are making some really good beer in Michigan if you look at the list.  I'm going to have to do a beer tour there someday.

Number 25 on the list makes my "standby" beer that I keep on hand - Spotted Cow (when I can anyhow - it's only sold in Wisconsin, so I grab a few cases when I'm there visiting friends and family).  It is NOT my favorite beer, but a beer that a wide range of people will drink, and most will find it both agreeable and interesting.  My favorite beer on the planet?  Aventinus Weizen-EisbockBeer Advocate agrees with me.  Yes it is $6 a bottle.  But one bottle will do.  Be warned if you don't heed that advice.  I'm a sucker for a good Weizenbock.  The company that makes Spotted Cow (New Glarus) makes another great beer - Imperial Weizen that while not on par with the Aventinus, is domestic and still outstanding.




Three Floyds Brewing Company    Munster   Indiana    USA  

Founders Brewing Company    Grand Rapids   Michigan    USA  

Bells Brewery    Kalamazoo   Michigan    USA  

AleSmith Brewing Company    San Diego   California    USA  

Cigar City Brewing    Tampa   Florida    USA  

Hill Farmstead Brewery    Greensboro   Vermont    USA  

Stone Brewing Co.    Escondido   California    USA  

Russian River Brewing    Santa Rosa   California    USA  

De Struise Brouwers    Oostvleteren   -    Belgium   

10  Kuhnhenn Brewing    Warren   Michigan    USA  

11  Surly Brewing Company    Brooklyn Center   Minnesota    USA  

12  Brouwerij de Molen    Bodegraven   -    Netherlands   

13  Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus    Westvleteren   -    Belgium   

14  Great Divide Brewing Company    Denver   Colorado    USA  

15  Hair of the Dog Brewing Company    Portland   Oregon    USA  

16  Mikkeller    Copenhagen   -    Denmark   

17  Alpine Beer Company (CA)    Alpine   California    USA  

18  Firestone Walker Brewing Co.    Paso Robles   California    USA  

19  Dieu du Ciel    Montreal   Quebec    Canada   

20  Hoppin Frog Brewery    Akron   Ohio    USA  

21  Green Flash Brewing Co.    San Diego   California    USA  

22  Avery Brewing Company    Boulder   Colorado    USA  

23  Dogfish Head Brewery    Milton   Delaware    USA  

24  Southern Tier Brewing Company    Lakewood   New York    USA  

25  New Glarus Brewing Company    New Glarus   Wisconsin    USA  

2 comments:

ServerSteve said...

If you ever get to Central PA, the folks at Troegs (#50 on the list) have a fine variety of brews.

Erica said...

Yes! Long time reader, pretty sure this is my first comment, but I'm a MI native and our beer is the best! Founder's in Grand Rapids is a must - they do all sorts of fun things that never make it to a bottle.